Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Greatest Rivalry in sports

FC Barcelona v. Real Madrid

It was a preliminary match that only counted for bragging rights and yet the atmosphere in Madrid is as crazy as San Francisco when the Giants won the World Series two years ago.

After dinner, a huge group of us decided to catch the game at a great sports bar called Marca. There were probably over a hundred Spaniards there and twenty American students. The passion and fervor of the fans was like nothing I'd ever seen. They were the loudest, most passionate, most loyal and most knowledgable fans I'd ever seen. The final three minutes of stoppage time were some of the most intense moments of my life. Now I'm a huge Barça fan but even though my team lost, going to see that game was the coolest thing I've done in Spain so far. It's quite amazing to watch a hundred people cheer and react to every play, every pass in unison. I couldn't help but be captivated by the energy of the place.

Also, when Messi scored Barça's only goal, four people cheered. It was quite a sight to see.

Even though it's 1:20am here, I'm super energized from watching the game. I'll try to sleep before my early morning tomorrow.

Besos de Madrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment