Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Once de septiembre, or 9/11

Eleven years? It's very strange being out of the country on this infamous date in US history. Here it's a day like any other. I had class and I met my language exchange partner today.

The only concrete reminder for me of what this date means to my country of origin is my facebook news feed, where many of my friends have posted statuses promising to remember, to never forget this date.

Eleven years. Makes me wonder where we'll be 10, 20, 30 years from now.

Today is also the birthday of one of my host sisters's boyfriend. A few days ago he apologized for the date of his birthday. I didn't understand why at first until he explained to his girlfriend that it's a bad day for Americans. Oh. Right. It's also a bad day for Chileans too, but that's a blog for another time and place.

The world is watching the US. Being abroad makes more aware of that than ever. Makes me glad I've studied a lot of political science.

No comments:

Post a Comment